Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Amazing Spiderman Shirt


Thsssss....You've been webbed, by The Amazing Spiderman...okay just by Clark, but webbed just the same.

Before our trip, I set out to make Clark a short sleeved shirt for the warmer weather.  Sadly, I didn't get the shirt finished before our trip, but it's all finished now.

                            

I mentioned earlier that I prefer subtle references to licensed characters when it comes to clothing.  I'll give in when it comes to pajamas, but if my child is going to be wearing clothing in public, I'd prefer that he not be a walking advertisement. So rather than coming out and slapping "Spiderman" on his shirt in red and blue, we referenced a lesser used name for him, added a small version of an older logo, and tried to mimic the type face and design of the lettering after some of the more vintage titles. Clark and I are both pretty pleased with the results.

I used a freezer paper stencil to transfer the images to the shirt.


I used a brick red knit for an accent color, but stuck to gray, black, and charcoal for the shirt. 

The pattern was made using an existing article of clothing as a guide.  It was my first five pattern piece t-shirt that I've made, and I quite like it.  Both the front and the back of the t-shirt have two separate pieces.


The sleeves and the bottom of the shirt are hemmed with a blind hem stitch.  I am still trying to figure out the best way to get the blind hem to lay completely flat when it is pressed out.  I'm guessing that I probably need to play with the tension on my server.  Any recommendations?


Clark really likes the blind hem detail, he thinks that they look like railroad tracks.



This poor boy has been sick with a stomach bug for a week straight.  He's a trooper and rarely complains, but I am ready to get out of the house.  Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon, I don't know how much more either one of us can handle.  I'm just relieved that I'm through the worst of my morning sickness-it would have been awful if this bug struck three weeks ago.

Thanks for reading.


2 comments:

Emily said...

Tricia! LOVE the non walking billboard/very classy shirt. I'm glad Clark likes it too! I like how the hem looks on the shirt and the sleeves. Let me know if you figure out how to lay it flat. I tried lots of steam and a hot iron and it helped a lot but not completely. Maybe that's just the way it's supposed to look? Glad you're over the worst of your morning sickness. Hope Clark feels better soon! That last picture of him is really cute.

Unknown said...

Love it! And I hope he gets feeling better soon -- a sick kid is the pits!