Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Coconut Cream Cake




This is such a simple and delicious cake to make.  It is a great option for any of you that eat gluten free.  The cream of coconut soaks into cake making it nice and moist.  Directions are below, but feel free to click here for a printable version.
Coconut Cream Cake
1 can of cream of coconut (see notes)
1 Prepared cake-I prefer White or Yellow
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 8 oz  tub of thawed whipped topping


Prepare and bake cake as directed.  
Toast coconut on a baking sheet  in a  325° oven for 8-15 minutes (watch carefully and stir frequently (every 5 minutes or so).  The outer coconut will toast faster than that in the center. Allow to cool.








Make slits or x’s in slightly cooled cake about 2 inches apart.  I use a butter knife.  
Yummy!

Shake your can or bottle of cream of coconut to mix .  Open, and pour between 1/3-1/2 of can on 9” round cake, or one complete can on 9x13” pan.  Allow the cream of coconut to soak into your cake.  Wait at least 30 minutes before next step.

Top your cooled cake with whipped topping and toasted coconut.  
Dig In. I hope that you enjoy.

Ingredient Notes: Coconut cream is not coconut milk.  I find it in the liquor section of most grocery stores.  Coconut cream does not contain alcohol, it is frequently used in Piña Coladas.

GF Note: You may notice in the picture of the ingredients that I have two cake mixes.  I just happened to make two cakes when preparing this dessert.  I eat gluten free and my husband does when he doesn't have another option;  I took pity on him and made him a cake of his own.  The Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix is my favorite GF cake mix out there.  It has a great flavor and texture, and it is reasonably priced as well.  I especially like this cake if it is warmed up slightly after being in the fridge. 



8 comments:

Fowl Single File said...

Yum! I wonder if that could pass for breakfast. It's 6:30am and if I got started on it now it'd be ready in time for a late breakfast...

Nancy said...

This looks very tasty. I will have to put the ingredients on my grocery list. That cream of coconut stuff is so amazing. We make pina coladas with it along with fresh, cut up pineapple. You don't even need the alcohol!

La said...

That looks so yummy! Hmmmm...may have tp try this. Thanks, La

Ami Allison said...

Seriously!!! I just wanted to win an 8x10 and I find this! SCORE 1 AMI!!! :) I love no I mean LOVE Coconut anything!!!
Thank you for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try it!!

I hope you stop by!! www.alililly.blogspot.com

Diane said...

Yummy! Can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

Leslie said...

Oh yum! This looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites!

Susan said...

I really like your approach of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website record and shall be checking back soon. Pls check out my site as properly and let me know what you think. If you're looking for the best Things to do in the world, this list has something for everybody! From adventure to culture, food to history .