Search This Blog

Friday, December 17, 2010

Holiday Recipe Week: Peanut Brittle


I think that Christmas candies are enjoyed for several reasons.  There are certain Christmas candies that I love because of their flavor, their are other that I love because of their appearance, and there are some that make their way to our holiday plates merely out of tradition.

Fudge is a bit rich in texture and flavor for my preference, but in our home you must make at least one batch.  Divinity is the Christmas treat that I always yearned for as a little girl, but never received, due to burnt out mixer motors. And Toffee is one treat that I leave up to my mother, because mine never seems to turn out just right.

While peanut brittle hasn't been a candy that is traditionally found on my own personal candy plate, it seems to be a Christmas staple.  My sister in law was kind enough to share her family recipe with us. 


Peanut Brittle

1 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 C Corn Syrup
1/2 C Water
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 Cus Raw Peanuts

Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt.  Cook to a full boil.  Add peanuts.  Cook until syrup is browned, but not burnt. Add baking soda.  Leave on heat until foamy, and syrup is a  golden brown.

Quickly turn out onto a buttered pan. Allow to cool.  Crack into pieces.

Note:  This makes a relatively small batch.  If you are making this recipe for a crowd, you will want to double or triple the recipe.

I think that the key aspect of this recipe is ensuring that the mixture doesn't burn.  It seems that sugar syrups can quickly go from a nice golden brown, to a sticky and stinky clump.


Peanut brittle, homemade caramels, and coconut bon bons. Oh how I love Christmas.



Check out all of the wonderful holiday recipes at the Holiday Recipe Link Party.  Be sure to link up your favorite recipes as well.

I'll be linking here.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I featured you today! Happy Holidays!

Amanda
todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

I feel so silly that I've never had peanut brittle before! I must be missing out because this looks amazing!

Jillian said...

that looks perfect!

Flannery Buchanan said...

Yum! I can't believe we forgot to add peanut brittle to our baking list!

We're doing a Christmas cookie link up, would love for you to add your peanut brittle! Thanks!

http://threesisterz.blogspot.com/2010/12/cookie-link-up-party.html