Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Quiet Book Pages, Vegetable Garden

This is one of my favorite pages in the quiet book, it is also one of my son's favorite pages. He loves to pull the vegetables out of the ground. This is the second version of this page that I have made. In my son's book I didn't have quite as many details (the sign is absent, and the green leafs are a bit simpler), I think that this attempt was much more successful. It is a bit easier on the eye. In my son's book I chose not to use any felt. I don't know why, buy I was just really anti felt and wanted to use "real" fabric. Felt has made my life so much easier, and I really don't think that it looks bad at all. Now the thing that is hard to look at is my son's book with all of the finished edges. It is really hard to finish edges on leafs and small little corners. I love that you can just add some topstitching to felt and it looks finished. Felt....oh what a blessing. You will probably notice that I didn't use Felt for everything. The vegetables in the garden are actually made from fabric, but I just fabrics that won't fray.


I used my button hole stitch on my machine to make the slots for the vegetables to be pulled. It seems to work well. I made the holes just barely bigger than the carrots. They are actually a bit smaller than the beets (or whatever they are), this is nice because then the vegetables don't fall out of the book on their own. You have probably noticed that there is velcro stitched in the bottom right corner, this allows for repositioning of the vegetables. I am quite pleased with how the page turned out....if only the beets didn't look like strawberries.

5 comments:

Sheri@childmade.com said...

How clever! I love how the veggies are picked! Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link, and will likely do a few others. You have wonderful ideas!

Jean Park said...

Very cute! I am making a quiet book for my niece and will probably use this idea. :)

Jean Park said...

Hi! I linked to your post on my blog. Thanks for the wonderful ideas! :)
www.bubblesandbobbins.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i LOVE this idea for a quiet book page! So cute! Thanks for sharing. I linked it on my blog.

http://loveithateitwouldnttradeit.blogspot.com/2012/12/quiet-book-pages-3-4.html