Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, May 10, 2013

Tutorial: DIY Cord Keeper From Fabric Scraps


Am I the only one that has a basket full of charging cords?  It seems that everything has it's own charging cord, and all of the cords turn into a jumbled mess in the basket.  I decided that some nice little cord keepers were in order.  All you need is a couple of scraps of fabric, some medium weight interfacing, about an inch of velcro, and about 20 minutes.  These make up really quickly, and are the perfect quick project to use up the last bits of your favorite fabrics. As a bonus, they make a perfect gift for anyone and any occasion.  I made up a couple sets of these for Mother's Day, but they'd make great stocking stuffers as well.


Wouldn't these be so nice to keep your chargers nice and tidy in a bag or suitcase? 


Print off the Cord Keeper Template.  Apply medium weight fusible interfacing to the back of one piece of scrap fabric.  Cut one piece of interfaced fabric with the template, and one without.  You will need 2 total pieces of fabric for each cord keeper. Cut two small 1 inch pieces of velcro.

 Place the two fabric pieces with right sides together.  Stitch around the fabric pieces, 1/4" from the raw edges, leaving 2 inches or so open for turning.  Clip the corners close to the stitching line.  Notch the two curved ends of the cord keepers.


 Turn the cord keepers right side out through the open space.  Press.  Stitch 1/8" away from the pressed edges, to both secure the layers, and close off the open turning space.



Attach the velcro pieces to either end of the cord keeper.  One side should go on the front, and one on the back.

Wrap around your cords and chargers to keep things nice and tidy.  Who doesn't like a bit of organization?

Some of you have had trouble opening the template.  Here are the dimensions: 2 3/4"x 4 3/4".  Ends are rounded.

31 comments:

Charity said...

You are definitely not the only one with too many cords jumbled together... love this simple solution. =)

Judy K said...

What a clever solution. They're super pretty too.

The Sewing Boutique said...

I do love a bit of organisation....even better, such pretty organisation!

Thank you for sharing, will definitely be giving this a go :-)

Rhi @ The Sewing Boutique

Angela Nussbaum said...

Free Quilt Patterns on facebook linked up your tutorial. Thank you so much for thinking this out and sharing! I need like 50 of these! :)

budziak said...

What size/kind of needle do you use to attach the velcro? I'm assuming a regular 90/14 might break. I'm a bit new to sewing and have already broken 2 needles, haha. Learning experience.

Rosebud said...

This is a great idea but how do you keep the cords from slipping out? I usually tie the plastic tie to just one of the wires just below the plus and then wrap that same thing around the entire folded cord. That way it doesn't come undone and your plastic tie is always there to be used again. You never untie it completely from the cord.

Rosebud said...

Meant to say "just below the plug and then wrap that same "tie". Sorry about that.

Lynda Fournier said...

I love the little cord keeper. I made one and then machine embroidered the name of the cord on it. I am going to make one for all of my devices and then when there is an empty cord keeper I will be looking for it because I am always leaving them all over the house. But, maybe not now if I throw them all neatly in a cord keeper, in a basket. Great idea!







Heidi said...

Love these! There are some many tangled cords in my closet that need some. Thanks for sharing.

Cealleadh said...

I made six of these for my mother. Within hours she had used them all and was wondering when I could make more. I'll be making more soon. Thanks so much for the tutorial these are genius!

Anonymous said...

To keep the wrap always attached to the cord even when it is in use, add one more step at the end. Make 2 button holes in this orientation | | and run the cord through them. Make the buttons the width of the narrowest plug.

Angelikas quilts and knits said...

great idea and cute too :-)

Loretta said...

i can't seem to get the template to print correctly...can you give me measurements? would love to make a bunch!

Anonymous said...

I can't get the template to open. Can you give me measurements?

Crystal76 said...

I can't get the template to open. Can you give me measurements?

Crystal76 said...

Thank you!

Tricia said...

For those of you that can't open the template: The dimensions are roughly 2 3/4x 4 3/4 with rounded edges. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea and also thanks to Anonymous for the buttonhole idea. You might want to turn the Velcro 90 degrees so that the circumference when closed can be adjusted a little bit. Will make one to match my mixer cover to keep its cord nice and neat, too.

Microbio Purses said...

What a useful idea for taking all those cables while travelling, i have heaps of scraps and will make some for me :-)
http://microbio.etsy.com

Calico laine said...

Good thing I have a few more excess dressmaking fabrics that I can use for this project. This craft is great way to avoid tangled chords or cables.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Who do I know who DOESN'T need several of these for Christmas?? NOBODY!

Judy Bagwell said...

Thanks for the tutorial and pattern. I just whipped up a couple for Christmas gifts! :-)

Marian said...

This is very cool, you could even go so far as to place a label on it for which cord it would belong to. So many cords I forget what they belong to. Normally I label them with a self adhesive label, but they eventually fall off. So this would be a cool way to get around that. Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial.

Tina & Cody said...

For those having trouble viewing the template, I was having trouble also until I signed in to my Google account and then I was able to view no problem. I'm looking forward to making these!!

Sandy said...

Your Cord Keepers where the first project for my Craft Challenge 2014. They turned out super cute! Thanks for the tutorial! http://kiwisandkrauts.blogspot.de/p/kreativ-challenge-2014-craft-challenge.html

Merja said...

Thank you for sharin this!This is thing,what I really need :) nice blog you have <3

Tataka said...

quelle bonne idée, en quelques minutes, avec des chutes de tissu, voilà mes câbles rangés

obat bius said...

very good information and Inspiring & Interesting.

success always
http://tokoobatbiusasli.blogspot.com

Ashlyine Brooke said...

Nice blog with awesome stuff!! Can you provide more information?? We are in fact waiting for you…
is bubblegum casting legitimate

Midnite Skys said...

Did this for my electronics cords and I was eyeballing my crockpot cord last night thinking hummmm make it a little bigger maybe sew one up for that cord... had to share with you my idea...

Susan said...

Love this! Perfect stocking stuffer gift for everyone in my family! Thank you!