I've been trying to spend a little bit of time (and very little money) on decorating our baby's "nursery". One thing that I never made for Clark was a mobile, and I thought it would be a nice touch for the space he'll be occupying.
I've seen paint chip mobiles online, and thought that it would be an easy and inexpensive option. Most of the mobiles that I've looked at have circles in varying sizes and colors. I chose to do that very thing. The one change that I made to many that I've seen, is that I strung the double sided circles so that they were parallel to the floor, rather than perpendicular.
To make the mobile I used several scrapbook dies to cut out varying sizes of circles. I had several different shades of blue, green, and gray. I then glued the circles together with a glue stick and let them dry. The structure of the mobile is two embroidery hoops that are attached with fishing line. The smaller of the two hoops hangs down a couple of inches lower than the larger of the two. I then strung the paint chip discs onto embroidery thread, and tied a knot beneath each disc. I intentionally pierced the discs in different places when stringing them. Offsetting the disc causes the discs to tilt at different angles, and I kind of liked the effect.
It was a pretty simple project, the most time consuming part was cutting out the circles. I spent next to nothing on it, although I must admit that I wish I'd purchased some scrapbook paper rather than using paint chips, I feel a bit guilty about depleting the stores supply. I picked up the embroidery hoops at a local thrift store for twenty five cents a piece, and I had the embroidery thread on hand.
So there it is, the first piece of decor for our little one's nursery. I've got more to show you later this week.
Thanks for reading.