Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Coral Satin Dress


My Sister In Law is getting married in the coming weeks.  I am thrilled for her.  She is a doll, and found a really great guy.

With the wedding right around the corner, we are tying up loose ends when it comes to wedding attire. I finished some bow ties for the little boys, and just made this dress for my 20 month old niece.  It is a coral satin, and is a really simple style.  There are just four pieces to sew together (aside from facings and linings).

My Sister In Law and I made the patter ourselves.  It isn't perfect, but it fits pretty darn well.  I just wish that I'd made the sleeves a teensy bit shorter.


The top front of the dress has nine pintucks, should have been ten, but what's done is done.  Nine would have been fine if the pintucks were smaller, and not pressed to the sides.  Oh well, there is an uneven, and unbalanced number of pintucks, hopefully she won't notice.



We added some sew on rhinestones at the top of the pintucks, and also in the center of the flowers on the hem.  We added a slightly lighter satin ribbon sash.  It brings in the dress just a bit, and adds a nice subtle contrast detail.

I know that I've pretty much abandoned the blog.  I made a conscious decision to step away from the blog during the month of December.  I wanted to make sure that I spent plenty of time with my boys. We've had a very happy holidays, and hope that you have also.

Merry (late) Christmas!  By the way, I took down all of my Christmas decorations today.  I get so tired of the clutter, even though I love the season.  Anyone else?

6 comments:

Kristie said...

I took everything down, swapping it all out for my snowmen for January. I love having it up through December, but once Christmas is over, that is about all I can handle with the kids trying to destroy the tree. Plus I like the idea of new years and celebrating that.
Enjoy your holidays!

Charity said...

That is a sweet little dress. =) The easiest way to do pin-tucks for me is to just sew them on a large piece of fabric first, then cut out the pattern piece. That way I never cut the piece too narrow.
Merry late Christmas to you too! I don't have any Christmas decorations up, but I didn't put any up to begin with... not enough room.

Emily said...

Oh what a pretty dress! :)

Terra said...

This turned out so pretty! I love the extra details.

Anonymous said...

It's lovely to sew dresses when you only have boys. I made some dresses for my great nieces for Christmas. My decks have been down since last weekend .

Lester Ackley said...

This is amazing thanks for sharing this blog I become fan of your blogs now. This blog is so interesting and informative.