Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Holy Craft! It's a blog swap



I'm so excited to introduce you today to Rachel from Holy Craft. She is an extremely talented crafter.  Hop on over to her blog to find some adorable Halloween decorations and crafts on the cheap. 
 Now sit back and be inspired by her crafting genius and fantastic tutorial, when your done stop by her blog to "catch" my Go Fish: fishing hole roll tutorial.



Hello! I'm Rachel! You can normally find me at my blog Holy Craft.




I'm a stay at home mom to three beautiful kiddos and I'm finding that as they get older, I'm getting more time to be crafty. I've been crafting, sewing and cooking for as long as I can remember and love the creative outlet that it gives me. I'm also super cheap so I like to find most of my supplies at garage sales.

Today I am going to share with you my tutorial on how to make wire wrapped rings using a vintage button.



For the complete tutorial click "read more" below


Here is what you need:
Measuring tape, wire cutters, a button with the shank on the back, 28 gauge wire, a deep well socket (I found mine in my hubby's tool box. I used 1/2 inch but I have little fingers! You can use an actual ring making tool if you have one, I don't, so I made do) and some needle nose pliers

Cut your wire to 36" long

Find the center point of your wire and do a cheesy grin (only kidding about the grin part!)

Starting with the center of the wire, place it on your socket and start wrapping around about 6 times.

Cross your wires and thread each end through the button shank

Pull tightly so that it's close to the socket

Making a figure eight, thread the wire through again with both ends

Equally wrap both ends around the shank covering it with wire to hold it in place. Working from the top of the shank to the bottom closest to the ring.

Start wrapping your wire around the ring on each side. I did about 15 wraps on each side. Make sure you pull tightly and that each wrap is next to the other with no gaps.

Once you have the desired amount of wraps, cut off the excess wire as close to the ring as possible. Using your needle nose pliers, squeeze down the end so you don't have any sharp ends left up.

That's it! Put it on and accessorize!

Pretty cool right? And all one of a kind.

You can wrap the whole ring or just a portion of it. Create it any way you like!

Thanks for joining me today. Stop on by my blog sometime and see what else I am crafting.

 Enter the CSN Stores Giveaway Here!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I can't decide which of the rings is my favorite. Possibly the turquoise one, but the checked is a close second. Thanks so much for the tutorial and the great idea.