Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cut off Jeans for Summer

Earlier this spring I decided that it was time to clean out some closets. Kids grow so fast and it makes me so grumpy when they out grow and out wear their clothes. As I was going through my sons dresser I found some adorable little jeans that he wore holes into the knees. I also found a pair of jeans that I love- love- love in my closet that I wasn't prepared to part with. I decided it was time to turn them into my summer play clothes as well. It is always nice to have some clothes to wear to work in the yard or in the garden.





This was my first attempt at finishing the bottoms of the cutoffs. I decided to cut off the cuffs of the pants and simply reattach them at the cutoff point. I have heard of people doing this when they hem jeans, and I thought it was a great idea. I was lucky with these pants because the width of the leg opening was similar in size to the width of the opening at my cutoff point. I had to make some adjustments, but not much. I think that the key with finishing cutoffs this way is adjusting your seams so that they line up properly. My pants were slim fit and I didn't have to do much adjustment at all, Clark's however were a bit more of a challenge. I had to line up the outside seam and then cut off some of the extra fabric for the inner seam. All in all I am rather pleased with my salvaging job.

The great thing about finishing your cutoffs this way is that is rather inconspicuous. If you look closely you can see where the cuff is attached right above the hem of the pant, but it isn't that noticeable. I no longer feel uncomfortable when a neighbor catches me in our yard in my cutoff jeans.

1 comment:

blueeyedfreckle said...

hey thanks for your nice comment on my blog! guess what? I went to BYU too! (provo) I got a BFA in drawing in painting. anyway, love your blog and the idea for the ties!