Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Girl's Skater Dress with Lace Overlay


This may be my favorite project of the year.  My niece was having her birthday, and I thought she deserved a dress of her own.  So, I set out designing an age appropriate semi formal dress.  I had this beautiful lace that I bought from Fabric.com, and had intended to use for scarves, but it just wasn't the right weight for scarves, so it became a lovely lace overlay for a skater dress.

The pattern is self drafted, and I used a half circle skirt for the skirt of the dress. I've been hanging onto an oversized lavender zipper, and it was the perfect detail for the back of the dress.



Unfortunately, I didn't factor in enough seam allowance to account for the structure of the lace.  I ended up haven't to make the seam allowances quite a bit larger, which made the bodice quite a bit smaller.  Unfortunately, the dress didn't end up fitting my 10 year old niece, but fortunately, she has two younger sisters, and it fit her petite 8 year old sister perfectly.

I'm glad that someone gets to wear it, and I just might have to make myself a matching dress.  It's just too cute.

2 comments:

Charity said...

That is really cute... my daughters would be fighting over it. The color is really fun!

Lace Dresses For Girls said...

This may be my favorite project of the year. My niece was having her birthday, and I thought she deserved a dress of her own. So, I set out ... lacedressesgirls.blogspot.com