Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sheer Summer Skirt


I have another skirt to share.  I found this sheer polyester fabric for $1.50 a yard.  I love the colors and the print, but don't really enjoy sewing this type of fabric.  I purchased the fabric without a particular project in mind, but I knew that whatever it was that I made would have to be simple. I wanted to keep the number of seams to a minimum.

I cut out a simple two rectangle panels for the skirt, and the lining.  I then sewed the side seams, hemmed the bottom edges with a narrow rolled hem, gathered the waist slightly, and attached it to an elastic waistband.


I picked up the navy elastic at Joann's.  I wish that it were a bit wider, but it does the job.  The skirt falls just below the knee, and the lining is about 2 inches shorter than the skirt fabric.

Sheer polyester fabrics like this can snag and pull easily when working with them.  I recommend using Sharp needles when working with it.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh so pretty! Looks perfect for summer! Thanks for the sharp needle trick. I picked up some chiffon like fabric a while ago with no set plans, mostly b/c I've never sewn anything like it.

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

gorgeous skirt - love that material! Will have to keep the sharp needle idea in the back of my head for next time.