My little family decided to take a quick little last minute trip last week. We weren't very prepared for our summer outing, and I didn't have any hats for the boys. We stopped at Wal-mart to see if we could find anything, and the selection was very limited, especially in the baby hat department. Clark and I found this little drivers hat, and it was by far the cutest hat they had. Unfortunately, it was too big for Miles. I knew that it would be, but I also knew that it would be easy to adjust.
Luckily, the hat band wasn't tacked down to the lining. I opened up the band, and pinned the center of the elastic to the back center seam of the hat. I then measured 1.5" away from the center seam in either direction, and marked those points with a pin.
With the center pin in place, I stretched one side of the elastic to my measurement, and stitched it to the hat band. I did the same on the other side.
Here's what it looks like with both sides attached.
I then folded the hat band back into place, and stitched it to the hat, encasing the elastic. I did have to give the elastic a bit of a stretch, to ease the elastic.
It pulled the hat in just enough that it stays on his head, and it really isn't too unsightly for a baby hat. This technique should work for most brimmed hats that are made from medium weight fabric. A hat made from a stiffer canvas would be more difficult.