Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fleece Scarflette Tutorial


I mentioned last week that there were several variations to the fleece neck warmer.  Not only did I end up making Fleece Neck Warmers for just about every guy that we gifted to, but I also came up with a few more feminine versions for the women.



One of the problems with a pull over neck warmer, is that fleece often creates quite a bit of static electricity.  Static and hair styles often don't mix.  To avoid pulling the fleece straight over the head, and having every hair on your head standing on end, I added a simple button closure.



On the scarflettes for the little girls, I added velcro.


There are many possibilities when it comes to making and embellishing these fleece scarflettes.  One other difference between these neck warmers, and the pull over neck warmers, is that these are not quite as tall.  They aren't designed to be pulled over your mouth or chin.

All of the above scarflettes are made with slightly different techniques, so I'm going to show you how to make the one above, and I'll provide a few instructions for making the different variations.




 Begin by cutting a rectangular piece of fleece. My adult dimensions were 21 1/2" x 12".


Fold your fleece in half with right sides together.  You will be matching up long ends.  Stitch a 3/8" seam along the long edges, and one of the short edges.  Leave one end open for turning. Clip corners. Turn your tube so that your right sides are out.


Fold the raw edges of your scarflette in 1/2".  


Pin along the turned in edge, and along the top edge of the fleece.  You will want to make sure that the long seam on your scarf has not rolled under.



Stitch along the open edge of the scarflette.  Continue stitching around the perimeter of the scarf.  This will tack the two layers of fleece together.  I edge stitched 1/4" away from all edges.


Next wrap the scarf around your neck.  Determine where you want your button closure to be.  Mark the button position on both pieces of fabric.  The outer layer of fabric is going to be your button hole marking, and the under fabric will be where you position your button.


I chose not to use the button hole function on my machine.  Fleece does not fray, so a simple cut would be sufficient.  I marked a hole that was 1/4" wide, and 1/4" longer than the length of my button.

Next I stitched around my button hole marking with a triple straight stitch. 

Use your seam ripper to slit the button hole. Attach button to the previously determined location.

                                      

That's it.  You have created a warm, and feminine scarflette.  

                                   

This is the version that I made for my Mother-In-Law,  There is only one button hole.  After I made the first button hole, I sewed the second button to the top layer of fabric.  


Ric-Rac Scarflette

To create the ric-rac scarflette you are going to use two rectangles of fleece.  The first will be  6" wide and 21 1/2" long.  Your second rectangle will be just as long, but 4" wide.  You will also need 43" of ric-rac.  You are going to center your 4" wide piece of fleece on top of the 6" piece.  Sandwich the ric-rac between the two layers of fleece.  Pin in place.  Stitch around the entire top rectangle of material.  I stitched 1/8" from the edge of the fleece, making sure to catch in the ric-rac. 

I used a covered button for this project.  The button hole was created in the same fashion as the argyle scarflette.

Ruffled Scarflette

Cut one piece of black fleece that is 21 1/2" x 6".  Cut a second piece of fleece that is 4" wide and about 36" long.  Using a gathering stitch, stitch down the center of your ruffle.  Leave ends long.  Pull bobbin thread to gather ruffle.  Distribute ruffle evenly along the length of the ruffle.  Pin ruffle centered onto fleece.  Stitch down the center of the ruffle, attaching the two pieces of material.  Center and stitch a piece of ribbon or trim down the center of the scarf.  Create a button hole closure using the same method as above.

Cream Scarflette

The cream scarflette was also made using two layers of fleece.  The top layer was scalloped along the edges.  I used a scrapbooking template to create the pattern.  I topstitched around the scallops, and the short edges of the scarflette.  The velcro was attached prior to attaching the fleece flower.  The flower is made from three layers of fleece with a sequined center.  When attaching the flower, hand stitch it in place.  You will want to catch the top layer of fleece with the thread, but don't attempt pushing through both layers of material plus the velcro. I'm sorry, I don't have the toddler dimensions, I'm guessing 5"x 18 or 19".

I'll be linking here.




9 comments:

Anne said...

Great tutorial! I linked to it on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fleece-scarflette/2011/01/11/

--Anne

Jennifer Juniper said...

So cute! Sometimes I just want something for my neck and not a big long scarf :)

Unknown said...

So cute! Is it possible to make one that closes with buttons/velcro but that comes up over your chin and mouth, you think? You ARE the expert, you know. :)

Emily said...

Genius buttonhole tip! I love the different versions you made.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I like this idea! Really cute!

AllieMakes! said...

Very cute! And VERY practical!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

Great tutorial! Seems like a "quick" project! Please link this up Wednesday at the Linky Party!
www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was just starting this... I sewed both long sides, and a short end. Then turned inside out, and did the last long side? Was that wrong... So now I sew around the whole thing? Sorry I'm just starting to sew! Thanks for any help!

Tricia said...

Anonymous: I'm having a little bit of difficulty following your comment (so that makes two of us right?). After sewing your scarflette (with right sides together) on one short end, and one (if material is folded along one long edge) long edge, you clip the corners, and turn the tube inside out. After that, you will fold in the raw edges on the remaining short end. Stitch the short end closed, and continue topstitching around the remaining three edges. Hope that helps.