I mentioned after making the sunburst top that I had lots of ideas running through my head of how I could modify a simple pintuck. This shirt is the realization of some of those thoughts. The top didn't turn out exactly like I'd hoped (namely the shape of the bib), but I really liked playing with this technique.
The shirt itself is a basic cap sleeve t-shirt (see tutorial here), I then added a panel of modified pintuck fabric, along with a ruffle border and a few simple buttons. If I were to do it again I would bring in the bib so that it starts closer to the neckline. I might also add a faux placket for the buttons. Enough of that though, I was intending on this post being more about the technique and less about the shirt itself.
To create the puckered pintucks I made 1/8" pintucks about 1 inch apart.
Then I stitched perpendicular to the pintucks in alternating directions. Alternating directions will tack down the pintuck one way, and press it up the other. It is a super simple and fun way to modify a basic pintuck. My rows were about 1/2" apart. If you look closely (which you shouldn't, but now you will) my rows aren't exactly even. I was lacking patience and consequently perfection wasn't achieved (but it rarely is). I think that it would be fun to create the rows of pintucks closer together. I think that this technique could be really sweet on a little girl's dress.
Check out these great link party spots.