Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Card Wallet Pattern with Little Birdie Template



Today I am sharing a pattern for a simple card or coin wallet. This is a really basic little wallet that is perfect for little ones that are learning to manage money or keep track of an allowance. I have modified the pattern to make a more grown up version that is perfect for debit cards, gift cards, or business cards.  






I recently made these purses for my nieces that came to visit. It was so much fun to see how excited they were to have their own wallets. These particular wallets I made from some mens dress pants that had worn out. I love reusing materials. It is just really hard for me to throw out material when I know that I can reuse it. This material is a good choice for a wallet because it can handle quite a bit of wear and handling. I lined the inside of the wallets with a soft flannel, but any cotton fabric would work nicely. The appliques are Eco felt, If you plan on washing the wallets regularly you should consider using a cotton fabric in place of the felt. You have to option to add the closure of your choice, I generally use velcro or snaps, but you could use a button closure or a reinforced magnetic snap if you choose.



The wallets shown are quite basic, but there are several things that you can do to dress them up. I love the idea of having little ribbon tabs below the closure, ribbon as an embellishment, different shaped pocket flaps, buttons, ect. The possibilities really are endless.









The wallets featured above are slight variations. This is a great project to use up scraps of fabric that you might have Ieft over from previous projects. I have used a wallet similar to this for the past 4 years. I really love having all of my cards in one place. I just recently created a slightly different version that just might end up in my Etsy shop in the near future.


This is my first attempt at writing a pattern other than for my personal use, so bare with me.




Feel free to use the pattern below for personal use only. Please do not sell items made from this pattern or applique.
Card Wallet and Birdie Template

5 comments:

Liz said...

Love these wallets. Thanks for posting! I am a new follower from The Girl Creative! Happy Friday!

Elizabeth said...

New follower from New Friend Friday- please follow me back at a

http://helpingunitefatherandson.blogspot.com/

Happy Friday!!

Anne said...

That's so cute!! I love the little birdie applique!! I'm also a huge fan of repurposing fabrics.

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-easy-credit-card-wallet-with-birdie-applique/2010/06/01/

--Anne

Josh and Amanda said...

The girls loved their wallets! I love them as well! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love ur blog!! Just found u and was hoping to make these as gifts for the girls at my kids preschool but it says set to private :( Is there any way to get the tutorial/pattern?
Thank u sooo much!
Tiffany

sway976@msn.com