Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lemony Lemon Meringues


I love lemon, and I love meringues, so a combination of the two would have to be a home run.  We had a little lemon party with the ladies from church, and I always try to bring something gluten free (because I want to eat too!).

I decided to try out a new lemon curd recipe, and sandwich it between two small meringues.


I used the for merry meringue  recipe, omitted the jello powder, and folded in about 1 tsp of lemon zest right at the end.

The lemon curd was delicious, and it made for a perfectly satisfying treat on a hot summer day.

Simply prepare the meringues, cool, and then right before serving, spread a thin layer of lemon curd on the underside of one meringue.  Top with another meringue.

I recommend assembling the meringues right before serving.  The curd will soften the meringues quite a bit, and if you don't want a big sticky mess, I'd wait. They were delicious.


Lemon Curd
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1/3 Cup strained lemon juice
5 Tbsp sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine the juice, zest, and sugar in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, beat egg until light. Beat part of the hot lemon mixture into the egg. Add the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to simmer around the edges of the pan. Continue to cool, and stir an additional 15 seconds. Strain if desired. Add vanilla. Cool.

 Once again, here's the link for the meringues.

For more information on the Lemon themed meeting we had, you can find my source here.  The lemon curd recipe is adapted from the information provided in the meeting.

No comments: