Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Baby Gifts


Some friends of ours are expecting their first son later this month.  I wanted to be sure and get something made up for them before the baby arrived. I love bow tie and vest onesies, so of course, I made one for their little guy.  I also happen to think that the "No Hablo" Bodysuits are hilarious, so I threw one in there as well.




A self-bound receiving blanket, and a serged edge swaddling blanket (36" square, with rounded corners), and the gifts were good to go.


I saved a few scraps of the flannel, serged the edges, and tied the blankets up in with a contrasting bow.   Clark and I worked on this project while Miles was down for his afternoon nap.  We had a good conversation about repetition with variation as elements of design.  I explained that the blue and white color scheme united the two fabrics, while the different patterns created visual interest, repetition with variation.  Who knows if his nearly four year old mind will file the information away for future use, but I love that he asks questions, and likes to help me out.

So I've been sewing up a storm lately, and crossing things off of my "To Sew" List, but unfortunately I don't have any tutorials.  It's been a while since I've written up a tutorial for you.  Any requests on particular projects?  I'll try to squeeze in a tutorial sometime next week.

4 comments:

Kandice said...

Ugh, I've GOT to make one of those vest onesies for my little man! And some bowties and ties for photo props...I can't remember, have you done a tutorial for the onesie? Or did you follow another one? Do you use inexpensive onesies that you can buy in a pack? I may have to go buy some today and just whip out something new for my little man. :-)

Unknown said...

I adore that onesie! The bowtie one, although I think the no hablo onesies are funny too :) But the pleats down the front of the vest are such a great touch. You are so good with the little details!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

I made a vest onesie for my son's blessing outfit along with some easy shorts. It was so easy. that one turned out great. And I love the no hablo onesie! I may need to whip one up for my kid sometime.

Emily said...

Such perfect gifts! I love the vest onesie and the no hablo. :) The blankets look super comfy too. :)