Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

It's A Pirates Life For Me: Mustache and Eye Patch Template


Yesterday we celebrated my husband's birthday.  Normally we don't get too fancy with our birthday parties, but as Clark is getting older, he seems to enjoy them more and more.  To make my husband's big day a bigger deal, I let Clark choose a party theme.  He chose a pirate party.


My husband is a kid at heart, and was more than willing to participate in our pirate bash....which really just consisted of some pirate props, and fancy jack black soda.


To celebrate in style I made some pirate party hats, using Simple Simons pattern.  Rather than do hand stitching, I attached a skull and cross bones with felt and a bit of heat and bond fusible web.

Isn't this the cutest little pirate you've ever seen?

To my surprise, Miles didn't mind wearing his pirate hat one bit. He seemed to get a kick out of our costumes.


I also fashioned some simple felt pirate mustaches for the occasion.  They were quite simple to make.  Each mustache consists of two pieces of felt, and enough elastic to wrap around the face at the center of the mustache.

I first cut out one layer of mustache, layered it on top of the second  and stitched along the sides of the mustache.  I added a couple of lines of detail stitching in the center.


I then cut away the extra felt from the back layer, and trimmed all of my threads.


I then formed a loop with my elastic, zig zagged it shut, and attached it to the center of the mustache with a zig zag stitch.


Ta da....completed pirate 'stache.  These could also be attached to a small dowel or skewer if you didn't want to wear the mustache.  


I also made some simple eye patches for the party.  I cut out two pieces of felt, and a piece of elastic that was large enough to wrap around the head snuggly, and attach on either side of the eye patch.  I then pinned the elastic in place, and stitched the layers of felt together, securing the elastic as I stitched.


Some super simple and quick pirate party props.  My boys loved them.  Here's a template for the mustaches and eye patch.

3 comments:

Fitria A (Griya Hobi) said...

so cute..

Brian & Carol said...

looks like a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

How cute! I can't believe how big your boys are getting. Adorable!