Search This Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Faux Chenille Blanket


Last week I finished another blanket for baby boy #2, somehow it's taken me all week to get around to posting it.

It is a faux chenille blanket based on Dana's tutorial that you can find here.  It was a bit time consuming, but I finished it in a couple of days, and I'd definitely make one again.


I purchased all of my fabric at Joann's.  The back is a fine wale corduroy, and the front has three layers of broadcloth.  The top layer is a bright green, the center layer is a jade green, and the bottom layer is a turquoise blue much like the binding.


I've only washed and dried this blanket once.  I'm sure that the more it's washed the softer the "chenille" rows will become.  I have a feeling that using flannel rather than broadcloth would cause the blanket to fray up even more, but I wasn't in love with any of the flannel that Joann's had to offer.


8 comments:

marymary said...

So cute. I love the colors. Is the broadcloth cotton, or cotton/poly? If it's a polyester blend, it probably won't fray as much as 100% cotton would. I think it looks great as-is, anyway.

Emily said...

Ooh love the colors! You did a great job! I haven't been liking the flannel at Joann's lately either.

Cecily said...

OMG, I love it! The colors are awesome and the details are fabulous!

The Marshall's said...

very cute!! hummm....does this mean that my sweet new nephews' name will be Miles???? if so, I LOVE LOVE IT!!

Unknown said...

I love the colors! I get so bored sometimes with the pale pastels that people expect for babies... my babies are stuck with bright colors because that's what I love!

Christy Franklin said...

What a gorgeous blanket. WELL DONE! You are far too clever for your own good!!!!!!! Haha!

Mama Mel said...

This looks great. I really like the corduroy. I may need to make a corduroy one myself!

Brandy said...

Did you use a 100% cotton broadcloth. I just got back from the fabric store and realized mine is a cotton/poly. I'm worried it won't work out. If you used the cotton/poly do you still love the effect?