Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

Hip for the Holidays: A bit of inspiration

I thought that I'd celebrate day five of Hip for the Holidays with a round up of sorts.  It is always nice to have a bit of inspiration when you gear up for a big sewing or craft project, and lucky for us there is plenty of inspiration floating around the internet.


Hopefully a few of these projects will motivate us to doll ourselves up this holiday season.

Lace for Days Skirt

Photo: Elle Apparel

Have you seen this tutorial from Elle Apparel?  I absolutely love the layers of lace, and think that it would be perfect for the holidays.  I've already purchased my 5 yards of lace, now if only I can find the time to make the skirt.  You can find the great tutorial here.

Leanne has a great eye, and is always coming up with skirts that are added to my list.  I have also purchased my material for the pinwheel skirt (which would also be great for the holidays).  You should stop by her blog for a bit of inspiration.

The Merry and Bright Dress

Photo: Sewing in No Man's Land

Kelly from Sewing in No Man's Land, is a super generous blogger.  She is always designed, or recreating fantastic dresses.  She is so kind to put in all of the time and work to create very easy to follow tutorials and patterns.  You can find her tutorial and pattern for the Merry and Bright dress here.

 The Reporter Frock

Photo: Grosgrain

Kathleen of Grosgrain never ceases to amaze me.  She has been causing my jaw to drop all month long with her embellished knit series.  Her frocks are just as inspiring.  Wouldn't this collar and sleeve treatment be fun on a holiday dress or top? Check out the reporter frock and the rest of her blog to be impressed (and humbled).

Petticoats Please 

Burda Style


Perhaps you already know exactly what you want to make, but need a bit of technical guidance.  Burda style has plenty of easy to follow technique tutorials.  You can find this step by step tutorial to make a three tiered petticoat here.  


Pick a Pattern

Butterick 6582

This last piece of inspiration comes from my sewing closet. I've had this pattern on hand since the summer, and I finally have the perfect fabric to make myself a dress.  I'm thinking the full skirt with a tiered petticoat underneath would be perfect, plus a couple of cap sleeves.


What is inspiring your holiday wardrobe?  Don't forget to link up hour holiday apparel projects at the hip for the holidays link party.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic inspiration! I adore the Lace For Days skirt and the Merry and Bright dress. Not sure I could pull of the purple, though. :)

Emily said...

Love your choices. I'm excited about the dress you're making yourself!

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Oh geesh, now I will be spending all night checking these gals out, hehe. What incredible things indeed. I would so love to join your party, gosh, but since I live in my pjs nowadays, so sad, I have to work all day to look decent, lol. BUT for this I may just do it. Thanks for inspiring me to get dressed, lol.

I am so excited about my giveaway, thanks again for participating.

Bella

Marlowe said...

HELLO BEAUTIFUL - Bella sent me!