Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Minky and Flannel Magic Pillowcase


With my children getting older, their Christmas lists are beginning to fill up with things that mom just can't make.  Despite my best efforts, there was no way that I'd be able to work any sewing magic and create and sort of video game with swappable characters.  So, in order to fulfill my emotional need to make handmade gifts for my family, I came up with a couple of projects that would meet their needs rather than wants.



 One thing that I made my boys was minky and flannel pillowcases.  Miles has recently transitioned to a big boy bed, though he still prefers to sneak into our bed,  I thought a soft and cuddly pillowcase would help make him feel more comfortable in his big bed.  I have to tell you, the pillowcases were a hit.  Both Clark and Miles love their new soft pillowcases.


 I'd heard about "Magic" Pillowcases and thought I'd give them a try.  They were as simple as I'd heard they'd be.  Basically you start with 3/4 yard of the minky, or main fabric, 1/4 yard for the wide band, and two inches of fabric for the thin detail band.  With proper positioning, you are able to sew all of the bands to the main fabric at one time, and then all you are left to do is sew the side and bottom pillow case seam.  I know it doesn't seem to make any sense when I explain it that way, but fortunately for all of us, there are a huge amount of online tutorials for making them.  Check out this one, or this one, or even this one.

*None of the tutorials that I referenced used minky as a fabric choice.  Minky has always washed up well for us, and my boys love it.  If you find it difficult to sew, try using a walking foot, and pin generously.  You will also want to trim your minky down to the width of your flannel, as minky tends to be quite wide.


They are super cozy, and a perfect project to use up a remnant piece of minky. It was something that my boys didn't even know that they wanted for Christmas.



No comments: