Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Self Portrait


I studied art in college, but have done very little painting since.  I like painting, and at one point in my life it was an escape.  At some point in my college career, painting stopped being fun, and became work. I've since found other outlets for my art.  Sewing is nice, because fabric doesn't dry out, and I can stop a project anytime I need or want to-painting isn't quite as forgiving. I plan on picking up my paintbrushes again sometime, but it might not be while my children are young.

This is a little sketch that I painted shortly after Clark was born.  He was a horrible sleeper.  He fought sleep from the beginning, and it has taken him a long time to learn to fall asleep on his own (like three years), and sleep through the night.  When I look at this little owl it reminds me of Clark's first year, and the feeling of sleep deprivation.

We've been lucky with Miles.  He's a much better sleeper.  He doesn't sleep through the night, but he's a whole lot better than Clark.

This week has been a rough one. Last Saturday night Miles woke up every hour, and had about a two hour period of being wide awake.  Sunday night I was planning on playing catch up, and I slept great through the first half, but around four in the morning Clark came down to our bedroom crying.  I asked him what was wrong, and he replied that he needed his bed made, and sprayed (we use pet spray when he wets the bed).  I thought I was in for a quick bed change, but when I made my way up to his room I realized that he hadn't wet the bed, but thrown up all over his bed, and himself, and behind the bed.  It's one of those really glamorous parts of motherhood that every little girl dreams about.  So we got everything cleaned up, but neither of us went back to sleep.  Tuesday and Wednesday it was my turn to be sick with the stomach flu.  Thursday and Friday we had a bit of a break, but Saturday and Sunday my poor husband got sick.  When my husband gets sick he kind of turns into a little boy.  He becomes pretty helpless.  I don't mind taking care of him, but it leaves me on round the clock parent duty with both  all three boys.

Last night my husband didn't sleep well, and either did I.  He woke up to run to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  I could hear the water, and in my mind, I was convinced that he didn't wash his hands after being sick. (I'm sure that he really did). That was it.  I was done.  No more sleeping for me.  I had to go upstairs, talk him into drinking some water to stay hydrated, and then I had to disinfect the whole house.

I was never a germ-a-phobe until I had kids, but man do I hate having sick kids.  I'm really hoping that Miles can avoid getting the stomach flu (teething, and diaper rash are bad enough).

After a day of wrestling the boys at church by myself, I. am. beat.  I'm feeling quite a bit like that little owl.  I am grateful that this isn't my daily norm.  I'm hoping for a restful night sleep for us all, and for all of you.

Okay, done complaining.  Life is a blessing, and spring isn't too far away. Lets hope for a healthy and energetic week to come.


5 comments:

Mama Rachael said...

Goodness. My 9-month old had a stomach bug about a week ago -- that miserable! And bummer that you and Hubby got it. Luckily, the bug in our house didn't make its rounds.

Hope all are well soon!

Emily said...

:( Hope you all feel better soon and spring comes! I'm impressed you went to church. I would've stayed home. Ansley threw up all over everything in her bed two weeks ago and it was awful- especially since it was my first time cleaning that up. Glamorous indeed! I almost contributed to the vomit pile but didn't. I opened the window at 3:30 in the morning and washed her bedding seven times (and her four times) before the smell left- except for the pillow- I bought a new one.

Janice said...

oh, you poor thing! It's times like that when I wonder, "how exactly did I get to this point in life where I'm the one to clean up other people's puke?" :)

I sure hope your whole family is on the mend soon.

AND you get some sleep. Life without sleep (ESPECIALLY mothering life) is almost impossible....

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry you've had such a rough week. I hope that everybody is well soon, and that this week is better. We had a yucky week last week too, except ours was plumbing/sewage pipe problems. Let's hope both of our weeks are better this time around! :)

Unknown said...

My goodness, what a rough week! I love your sketch, though, and I hope that this week you are all feeling better!