Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Shirr Thing For Spring: Day 2-Shirred Sunsuit for Baby

Shirred Sunsuit For Baby

For Day two of Shirr Week, I decided to share a baby sunsuit.  The shirring is used in basically the same way, gathering in the suit around the chest, but it is also applied around the leg openings.  I love the gathered look around the base of the bloomers. I love the idea of a one piece sunsuit for a crawling baby.

This project is based on the Baby Sunsuit Tutorial, from Rae of Made By Rae.  She is always coming up with clever patterns, and I absolutely love this project.  She provides dimensions to create a 6-12 month sized baby sunsuit, but also gives instructions on creating one to fit your little babe (no matter how small).

 The criss crossing straps on this project will surely help them stay in place.  I am a bit concerned that my straps are too long, I may have measured them incorrectly, but the great thing is that I can always add more button holes.


 Rae used a double gauze for her sunsuit, but I used a regular quilters cotton.  I've had this fabric in my stash for about a year now, and I think that this is a perfect project for it.  Nice and bright for a summer picnic. You absolutely must hop over to Rae's site to see her sunsuit modeled.

I didn't do the jumper any favors by hanging it on a hanger.  When it's worn on a little one it balloons out, and makes for a cute little outfit.


When shirring the legs I made my rows 1/4" apart.  I made three rows so that I was sure to have enough gather.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can imagine this little outfit on a baby. I love the little ruffles around the legs, and the fabric you chose. Lovely Tricia!

Unknown said...

SO cute. I will need one of these next summer for sure! And the shirring around the legs must be SO much more comfortable for the little ones than elastic. SO smart.