Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Yoga Pants from T shirts






I recently did some clearance shopping at Old Navy.  I was quite pleased because I found several nice T-shirts in the men's section for $0.97 each.  I bought them knowing that my husband probably wouldn't be crazy about them and that I could turn them into something special.  I've been eyeing the Warhol baby dress from Dana at Made, but after some thoughtful consideration, and some t-shirt repurposing research I decided on some yoga pants.  I found this great tutorial on Cut Out and Keep.  Now I love to sew, but sewing clothing is really intimidating to me. It just seems that it is really difficult to get a proper fit.

The instructions are pretty simple.  You lay your T-shirt out flat, cut off the sleeves, the collar, and cut the shirt down the middle.  The arc for the shirt sleeves will serve as the crotch of the pants.  You simply sew together the two pieces at the middle, stitch one seam on each pant leg, add a waistband and your done.  Several tutorials that I found used the shirt sleeves as the waistband, but I decided to use a strip of fabric from another 97 cent shirt to serve as my waistband.  I liked the two colors together, and I felt like it gave it a little something different.  I folded my strip of fabric in half, matched up the center seam in the back, and wrapped the waistband around the front.  I crossed the waistband in the front and formed a "V".  I had to adjust the waistband a couple of times to get it snug enough to stay on my waist without a drawstring, but I am really pleased with the way they turned out.  The pants are super comfortable and were simple to make.  If you didn't want to fit your waistband you could always add elastic or a drawstring.  I have a feeling that I am going to be living in these pants for the next little while.

I used a shirt that was a men's large, and it ended up being a woman's size Small-Medium pant.

Sorry about the goofy photos, I am not the best at taking self portraits.

You can find my Sweatshirt to Lounge Short Tutorial here.

33 comments:

Helena said...

Are you serious??? That is awesome! I love how they turned out, and I never would have guessed they were made from t shirts!

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy Session with Life in the Pitts!

Melissa said...

That is great! You should link up to my party over at Mycraftielife.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

I just found your blog through Trendy Treehouse and I could not be more impressed with these pants you made! I have *no idea* how to sew, so I am excited to see all that you make! Have a great weekend!

Jess :)

http://www.gardenpatchadventures.com/

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

i love these pants you made,, is there a picture tutorial somewhere that you went by? I have the hardest time with just the printed directions, I need a visual. i cant seem to figure out how the pants are sewn in the crotch area??? Thanks

Anonymous said...

You did an awesome job! Thanks for sharing at It's party Time Thursday at PonyTails&FishScales!

Amanda said...

These are awesome! I love them! But one thing- is there a secret to sewing knit? Because I just made a TShirt Bag and it was HORRIFYING! What an awful experience! I vowed to never sew with knit again... but... I really need these pants!

Amanda
Colors Not Yet Invented
www.notyetinvented.blogspot.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That is awesome! i can't believe you made adult pants from t-shirts! Great job!

Teaching with Grace said...

Awesome! I have a never ending to-do list and these just made it on there!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to show you the pants I made after being inspired by your post!

http://simplyhandmadebypaige.blogspot.com/2010/07/tutorial-tuesday-wait-its-wednesday.html

Thanks!!! I love your blog!

Krakowianka in training said...

What sewing machine do you use?

Anonymous said...

Nice job.

hardtail yoga pants said...

How did you make that beautiful yoga pants. I still can't believe that it is from an old T-shirt. It is so gorgeous and it really fits your body well.

B E C K Y said...

Lovely!!

Andrew Smith said...

@hardtail yoga pants

i also dont think that its really a cheap shirts. unluckily she did post any tutorials on how she made it.

funny t-shirts said...

thanks for sharing this post I really like it so much.highly recommend this to my friends.

Titika said...

Fantastic! I really like this blog and got lot of information about Yoga Pants

Missy said...

So trying this!
I just opened up a blog (followthefashionista.wordpress.com) and I'll show my version of this in a few weeks when I do them! I'm thinking of doing a yellow color with light blue screen printing. :)

Unknown said...

Lululemon has exclusively established itself as a leading sporty lifestyle clothing brand that always help its customers to feel more comfortable. So, do you think Lululemon is one of the best products in sports clothing Company?

Lululemon online

Unknown said...

This is excellent information. I got some new idea. Thank you for your post.
Workout pants and shirts

Groomy said...

These yoga pants and t-shirts seems to be great. Pleased to see these photos. I am big fan of such custom made workout clothing. I prefer sewing my clothes on my own whenever I get time or buy from authentic websites only.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks Yoga Apparel and Accessories

Cho co said...

They often cover most of the buttocks part. They have become a favorite choice, given that they avoid showing a prominent Water Booty Shorts

Stephanie said...

awesome idea for these pants!!! thanks for posting!

SEO BACKLINKS said...

Your writing pattern is awesome yoga pants for tall women

NZeTA said...

I can't hear you. Points and Trick

Yasir Shafique said...

This looks so beautiful automation testing service

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

wholesale t shirts

Rainbow Textile said...

well written and well explained. clearly described tiny details.
Rainbow Textile is one of the best clothing manufacturing company, having both local and international clientele.

Print Online said...

Create your own printed design on T-Shirts, Pen Derive, Visiting Cards, Name Plate, etc.

T-shirts, Customize T-Shirt, Printed T-Shirts Near Me
Pen Drives, Personalised Pen Drive, Customised Pen Drive
Printing Visiting Cards Near Me, Printing for Business Cards, Design Visiting Cards
Name Plate for Door, Door Name Plates, Designer Name Plate

sachin sagar said...

I loved to read this blog. It is very useful to me. Please keep sharing this kind of blog.

Online Id Card Printing

John Odom said...

We are offer a shirt hereBespoke Tailor HK

Moazam Zia said...

Amazing trick Weight loss in 4 days Kurulus Osman Season 4 in urdu